Sunday, April 08, 2012

TALKING ABOUT THE STATE OF THE MOVIE AND TV BUSINESS HERE IN FROZEN SASKATCHEWAN

On this Easter Sunday, I've decided to post a few of the items I've written over the past while about the movie business. First, here's my piece that ran about the massive flop that was John Carter. Disney estimates it's cost their studio at least $200 million.

Second, here's my news story about the Saskatchewan government's plans to scrap the film employment tax credit in the province, followed by my column in the News-Optimist about it. Needless to say, I was not happy with the decision and thought it was the type of decision that would contribute to more people leaving the province. Really, part of the reason this province has revived itself over the past years has been due to the great publicity and work generated thanks to shows like Corner Gas (pictured). 

I'm sure my stance surprised a lot of the local readers. I should point out there was a lot more behind my column than might be apparent. For one thing, I have family in the film industry (ie. my brother), not to mention my own TV background. So I actually have some clue about how difficult it is for a movie or TV production to get financing and what a risky venture it really is. Besides, I lived in Toronto and saw first-hand what a vibrant movie industry did for the economy there.

Moreover, though, I'm really frustrated with what I've been hearing from people in Saskatchewan over the last several months, who seem to expect our young people to settle for these abundant resource-sector jobs regardless of whether they are cut out for that line of work or not. I want to say to these folks around here that there are still people from Saskatchewan who would rather do something else instead -- like break into the movie business, for example. Yet, too few Saskatchewanians seem to care whether those folks stay or go!

I could go on and on. I guess a lot of pent-up frustration with my home province finally boiled over into my column last week. Anyway, those movie business articles were my contributions to the cyber media universe.

In other movie news, learned that The Hunger Games beat American Reunion and Titanic 3D to win the box office again this Easter weekend (Deadline Hollywood).

No comments: