Sunday, April 15, 2012

SOME MAD THOUGHTS ABOUT MAD MEN

I have not been watching this season of Mad Men, although I would like to. I caught the season premiere episode online at the AMC website, but since my cable lineup does not include AMC I have missed the whole rest of the season, which isn't being streamed for free online. Instead, they expect me to fork over money to iTunes to watch it. Good luck with that.

Anyway, the season premiere was really good. It sort of got me interested in the advertising business all over again.

I went out and bought a book called The Real Mad Men, which talked about what really went on in advertising during Don Draper's time. Apparently a lot of the creative people in advertising really don't have much good to say about Mad Men's accuracy in depicting the advertising industry. There was a really big hit piece that legendary ad man George Lois wrote for Playboy a couple of years ago, where he trashed Mad Men and said Sterling Cooper was a misrepresentation of what was really going on at ad agencies in the Sixties. The ad business was far more cool, hip and creative than what you were seeing from these dinosaurs at Sterling Cooper. Anyway, that book I bought was a real eye-opener about what really went on in those days.

As for this season of the show, the real eye-opener for me was Jessica Pare playing Draper's wife Megan. It turns out she's Canadian! Here's a profile of her that ran in the papers up here in frozen Canada.

Jessica was scorching hot on the show, with a famous scene where her character loosened up her chronically-uptight husband by singing a rendition of Zou Bisou Bisou. It didn't go so well, because, well, Don is way too uptight for his own good.

That wasn't the only big scene she had. Check out this video of a scene from near the end of the premiere episode where Megan cleans up the apartment after the big 40th birthday party for Don. Needless to say, it's hot stuff on Mad Men this year. I gotta say it: Megan Draper rocks.


I think I am going to do some more advertising stuff here at the blog -- one of these days I want to put up some of these ads from the Sixties which would have been produced during the Mad Men days. That's all for now.

No comments: