Thursday, July 21, 2011

THE SHUTTLE HAS LANDED

Well it is a sad day as the Space Shuttle Atlantis has landed back in Florida, wrapping up the final mission of the Space Shuttle program. Today I got up very early to see the Shuttle land for the final time and got kind of choked up with the whole scene.



I guess it was time for the Shuttle to retire, but what really gets me is that there's nothing coming down the pipe replacing the Shuttle program in the USA. Instead, from now on they'll be spending millions of dollars getting rent-a-rides on the Soyuz. That's right, from the Russians.

That just has me and all the NASA fans out there shaking our heads. I don't know -- hopefully things will turn around for the American space program one of these days, but it sure looks like the space program and its fleet are going to be reduced to "tourist attraction" status for the near term.

No comments: