Sunday, June 26, 2011

LAZY SUMMER DAY NEWS FROM NOWHERE

Well, all I have to say is it's tough for me to get too excited about summer right now, in part because I am still decompressing from the months of exciting basketball and hockey action on the tube. It's like how you react once the NFL season is over -- you sort of have to decompress a bit.

Anyway, the NHL had its awards this week and the NHL Draft, and the NBA held its draft, so that helps ease things a bit for the fans. Today in Toronto, there is the Queen's Plate and I am pretty excited about that.

Other news: The Souris River is cresting in flooded-out Minot North Dakota, and it's a really sad scene there with all those houses under water. The flood there was so bad it beat the all-time 1881 record for the area. I've been watching the streaming video from the area on the Internet. Needless to say I don't think I'll be travelling down there anytime soon. My summer vacation plans are in chaos right now.

Here in strike-ridden Canada, we are in the midst of a legislated end to the postal strike, which is good because I am waiting for a big cheque to come in the mail. 

In sad news from Hollywood, Peter Falk has died. Also gone, former CNN sports anchor Nick Charles, from cancer.

In news from the courtrooms, Conrad Black is back in the clink, Lindsay Lohan was in trouble again, and the Casey Anthony trial drags on.

PIXAR made motion picture history this weekend -- its release Cars 2 has given the vaunted CGI animation house its first critical dud in history. A dismal 34 percent Rotten at Rotten Tomatoes. Well, I guess you can't win them all.

On the positive side, Cars 2 did win the weekend box office, beating Cameron Diaz's raunchy flick Bad Teacher. Speaking of which ---nice outfit, Cameron. No actress in Hollywood today can don the denim shorts quite like Cameron Diaz.

That's all for now.

No comments: