Saturday, April 30, 2011

HISTORY TO BE MADE

No, I'm not talking about the election, I'm talking about the first UFC fight night in Toronto at the Rogers Centre. It's the long-awaited UFC 129! It's Canada's Georges St-Pierre against Jake Shields for the welterweight title!



Expect the fans in Toronto to go crazy -- the UFC is wildly popular up here. They sold out this event in no time flat. Makes me sort of wish I was back in Toronto -- I'm jealous because I am missing the excitement.

Hey, I'm even excited, and I'm not even that big a UFC fan. Then again, the sports I like to follow tend to be mired in labor disputes. Give the UFC's Dana White credit, they know how to run and market this sport. You can't say the same for Roger Goodell right now with the NFL.

Needless to say, no one in Canada cares about the election today, just as no one cared yesterday when William and Kate were getting married. So don't expect the ugly Jack Layton headlines to change much on Monday.

No comments: