Sunday, December 19, 2010

YOGI BEAR ISN'T AS SMART AS HE THINKS HE IS

I will have a lot more to say about this weekend at the box office a little later on when I write my Cairns on Cinema column. Suffice it to say it is weekends like this one that make me feel glad I am out of the box-office prediction business, because I had no interest in seeing any of these movies that rolled out this weekend -- least of all this weekend's winner Tron: Legacy.

The biggest loser this weekend was Yogi Bear, which got slaughtered by every film critic with any semblance of credibility. Its Rotten Tomatoes rating was 13 percent! Its domestic box office was not good, either -- it opened on Friday to $4.6 million. Well, it's really too bad, I was hoping Yogi would make a big comeback, but that's what you get when you come up with a bastardized version of Yogi Bear like what we got here.

Dan Aykroyd voiced a very scary-looking Yogi -- although I cut Justin Timberlake some slack as Boo-Boo. At least he gave it an "A" effort to sound like Yogi's sidekick.

A lot of the cartoon purists were really up at arms over this flick, anyway, with all these Daws Butler fans coming out of the woodwork to say he could never be replaced as the voice of Yogi Bear. As it turns out, they were right -- though I guess it could have been worse. As it also turns out, it's also clear that when it comes to movies, kids these days seem to have some semblance of taste. They stayed away from this one in droves. Chalk this one up in the "bad idea" category.  

No comments: