Sunday, December 05, 2010

SO LONG TO LESLIE NIELSEN (AND OTHER NEWS FROM NOWHERE)

So, I have a few items to tell you about right now and I have links to a couple of things I wrote up in the past week.

Just after the Roughriders lost that lousy Grey Cup game to the Alouettes came word that another Regina product, Leslie Nielsen, of movie and TV fame, passed away at age 84. I wrote up a tribute piece to Nielsen as part of my Cairns on Cinema column this week, where I describe Nielsen as a "seriously funny guy". Be sure to check it out.

Next up, I also wrote up a blog post here about a movie I stumbled upon on the Internet last week called Sonicsgate. It's the whole story about how the NBA's Seattle SuperSonics got lifted out of Seattle and ended up taken over by Oklahoma City interests who moved the team there. Actually, this sort of activity is nothing new for the NBA, the same kind of nonsense happened in Vancouver to the Grizzlies.

About as soon as that post went up, all the nonsense went down in San Diego with all the rumors about AEG trying to buy the San Diego Chargers and move them to Los Angeles. There are denials all over the place,. but there's no question the Chargers are one of the main teams in trouble in the NFL (Minnesota and Jacksonville being the others). Apparently this LA group was also talking to the Vikings this week. Anyway, it never ends in the NFL.

By the way, I hope you enjoy the current NFL season because the players association has told their players to save up as much money as they can, because there's likely to be a lockout next fall. Well, great -- the NFL wants to kill itself. Hasn't the NFL learned the lessons from what happened in baseball and hockey? Those sports have had a really hard time recovering from their shutdowns. I can't believe that with the American economy in the horrible state it is in that the NFL is about to be embroiled in a civil war over MONEY.

Finally, some GOOD news out of Edmonton, for a change -- they saved the Indy.

That's it for the time being. I know, I know, North Korea and WikiLeaks is more important than all this trivial nonsense, but this is the kind of stuff I care about.

No comments: