Wednesday, November 03, 2010

EDMONTON INDY RACE IS DOWN THE TUBES

So the story broke in the last 24 hours that the Edmonton Indy has gone belly-up. The new promoter Octane suddenly walked away from a deal with the city, apparently/reportedly over behind-the-scenes skullduggery involving costs to upgrade the runways that the promoter was left holding the bag for -- something they hadn't counted on when they signed on to the deal with the city for this event earlier this year.

Here's the whole sad story here, and here's what Terry Jones has to say in the Edmonton Sun..I don't think I'm quite as outraged as Terry Jones obviously is, and I don't even have the kind of outraged reaction to this news that I had when the Toronto and Montreal races had to take a year off. I guess I'm just tired and weary from all the off-the-track problems this race has had. This latest gong show behind the scenes is one more to go along with the rest of them.

It's too bad, because the fans actually showed up for this event -- unlike other tracks throughout North America. The race fans in the West deserve a lot better than this nonsense they have gotten from everyone in charge. Now I'm in the odd position of having no Indy race to be able to go to in 2011, having lived within driving distance of races for a decade-and-half. I have no idea what I'll do next year. I guess I'll be reduced to going to a NASCAR Canadian Tire race next year, darnit!   

There are now stories circulating that this Indy event could still be rescued, but I have my doubts. Also, the rumors are flying about the event maybe winding up in Calgary when all is said and done. I don't know if it will happen, but it would be better than nothing as far as I'm concerned. Talk about sticking it to Edmonton.

No comments: