Saturday, June 26, 2010

VIOLENCE AT THE G20

I was happily tuned in to the live coverage on CBC of the big World Cup game between Ghana and the USA, an exciting game that was eventually decided in Ghana's favor 2-1 in extra time, and I noticed CBC News scrolled at the bottom of the screen a news update about all the violence that had erupted in Toronto at the G20.

So I switched to the news channels and there it was -- police cars on fire, protesters in the streets, damage being done to buildings -- a lot of criminality. Based on what I saw on TV I'm not surprised the security forces ended up bringing out the tear gas for the first time in the city's history.

This violence was going on downtown, and over at Queen's Park as well. That tells you a good deal about the scale of this mayhem going on there. 

It really was a scary situation and it could have been even worse today than what it was. Mayor David Miller held a press conference calling these thugs "criminals" and saying what these rioters are doing isn't protest activity but criminal activity.

Well, I guess this explains why they had to spend $1 billion on security for this summit -- they were worried something crazy like this would happen. Well, that's what happens when you get a bunch of world leaders in one place; the anti-globalism crowd comes out in force and a few rioters decide to join them. I sure hope this is the end of the rioting over there, but I have my doubts. 

No comments: