Sunday, March 21, 2010

TRYING DESPERATELY TO KEEP UP WITH THE NEWS FROM NOWHERE

I haven't been at the blog very often lately, but that's because I am busy resting up. I also have a bit of a break from work coming up soon, so I plan to spend that break doing very little as well.

In the news---  the Americans passed health care reform tonight.Woo hoo! Expect some really raucous elections coming up this fall in the States.
Other news: Christiane Amanpour (pictured) left CNN for a job at ABC News hosting This Week, and I am surprised because Christiane seemed like the kind of person who'd be at CNN forever. If a lifer like her quits, that really doesn't say a whole lot about the ability of CNN to keep its key people. This sure seems like the death of CNN to me, losing someone like her.

In box office news, Alice in Wonderland won for the third weekend in a row.

Still a lot of news about guys behaving badly, with Jesse James leaving Sandra Bullock for some tattooed woman of all people and then apologizing, and with Charlie Sheen pleading not guilty to his charges, and with Tiger Woods announcing he's gioing to be in the Masters -- while at the same time agreeing to be interviewed on the Golf Channel. Apparently this was another one of those situations where Tiger was able to call the shots and all that, limiting the interview to five minutes of his own spin.

Also the NCAA tournament is going on and I've been watching it whenever I can, but to be honest I haven't been going out of my way to watch it. Actually, I'm pretty pleased with the results of the CIS Men's Basketball tournament, won by, of all teams, the University of Saskatchewan! Way to go Huskies.

And in the world of entertainment Corey Haim was buried in Toronto, and it's also Peter Graves dead and Fess Parker dead. I hope the Motion Picture Academy is taking notes -- you don't want to see them screw up their "In Memoriam" segment like they did this year to poor Farrah Fawcett and Bea Arthur.

And Jimmy Kimmel was on David Letterman's show reminiscing about the infamous "Jay Leno" scandal and Letterman likened it to the old Comedy Store days when people were riffing on everyone and it was all fun and games. I thought the whole thing was a hoot -- late night really was fun to watch during those couple of weeks. Too bad it's all gone to heck now. Conan is definitely missed.



That's all for now. Coming up later this week from me: coverage of the provincial BUDGET. Fun stuff.

No comments: