Thursday, December 31, 2009

A BIG CABLE CARRIAGE FIGHT WRAPS UP THE "00s" DECADE

Well, with the newspaper put to bed and with all of my sources all out on vacation I have taken some more time off of my own, and am spending today relaxing and enjoying one of my favorite pastimes when I have a weekday off: I am watching business TV channels like Bloomberg and CNBC. 

Well, considering that last decade at this same time I was ringing in the 2000s working a temporary job in a securities house on Bay Street in Toronto, I guess it makes sense for me to ring in this next decade by looking at stock quotes roll across the screen on TV. Speaking of TV...
From the looks of it, TIme Warner Cable is in a big fight with Fox Broadcasting over fees. (Gee, where have we heard that before?) As a result, Time Warner may pull the Fox network right off their cable system and deprive countless sports fans of their beloved football games over the next few days. From what we hear the negotiations are going badly and are described as "vitriolic". Sort of like this fight between the TV broadcasters and the cable companies in Canada. And who always loses in the end in these kinds of disputes? That's right -- the football fans. It stinks. If this lasts for any length of time it could even take down American Idol. Yikes.

Overall I am glad to see this decade go - the decade of terrorists and financial upheaval, and Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan, and bad, bad, bad reality TV. Time Magazine was right: this decade sucked.

I'd like to think there's nowhere to go but up, but I think there's still plenty of opportunity out there for things to get even worse. Really, we could have a nuclear war break out this next decade. We really need to keep a close eye on some of these nutcases in power around the world and make sure we all get through this next decade in one piece without any damage.

Happy New Decade! Hopefully it will be a good one.

No comments: