Wednesday, November 11, 2009

COVERING BUSINESS NEWS; PLUS A PROFILE OF FOX BIZ REPORTER NICOLE PETALLIDES

You know, there are times in my job when I find myself on the business beat covering business happenings. Not too long ago I was at a big economic development conference in which Brett Wilson, one of the Dragons from CBC's Dragon's Den, showed up as a guest speaker. And then he was on a panel with a bunch of bullish CEOs who were all talking about how great things were in Saskatchewan. And I was sitting there waiting for Erin Burnett or Maria Bartiromo to burst through the door to do a big story on this conference and report on the economic miracle that is Saskatchewan and tell the world how great things are up here (Number One performing jurisdiction in North America, etc.).

Of course, here we are a couple of weeks later and the word is that this province is about to finally go into recession, so I guess it's a good thing Erin and Maria didn't show up. They would have wasted their time.  

Earlier this week I had to chase down another story about a shakeup in the executive ranks at one of the region's financial institutions, and getting hard information out of anyone was like pulling teeth. So it wasn't fun and games, but yes, I've had more business news to do up here as of late. And of course I write up the box office results from the movies each week, so that's technically business news as well.
 


Anyway, I found another profile of business reporter Nicole Petallides of Fox Business Network. You read an article like the one I linked to and you get the impression that it's a lot of fun covering the Wall Street beat, following the bears and the bulls. I wouldn't mind being on the Wall Street beat myself; it would be more interesting than some of the stuff I am covering right now (fires, car wrecks etc.). I think I mentioned before that I had my Canadian Securities Course certificate, so yeah, I'm definitely qualified to cover business news -- just like Nicole Petallides. (Hey Nicole -- nice hat.)

No comments: