Saturday, October 31, 2009

TRAILER FOR "GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN" -- ESPECIALLY FITTING THIS MONTH

Given all the monkey business going on involving David Letterman, Steve Phillips (ESPN), John Edwards, Eliot Spitzer and these other losers, I thought I would put up a trailer I found recently on the Internet from the exceptionally silly Sixties movie A Guide for the Married Man.



I found out about the video from Mark Evanier's website, which is a great repository of cool, relicky things from the Sixties (usually about cartoon characters and the people who draw them). Anyway, he kind of has the same semi-repulsed reaction I have about the whole premise of the film. I like the sexy aspects of the movie and all the women in it, but like Evanier said, the whole premise seems to make light of marriage and makes it seem as if cheating on your wife is a fun activity and a good idea! In the movie, Robert Morse gives Walter Matthau tips on how to get away with cheating on your wife. That's basically the entire plot.

Oh, and by the way, his wife in the movie is starved for sex and wants to make love to her husband. She wants sex with her husband! So Matthau's character really has no good reason to cheat on her.

I may come across as totally girl-obsessed on this blog (hello, Joanna Krupa!), but the truth is I happen to be a big believer in being loyal to whoever your woman is. I think going the "cheating" route on your wife or girlfriend is disrespectful and no way to go, and that the best policy if your relationship is so totally on the rocks is to just take the high road and split up. At least it's the honest way to go -- it'll save both sides the humiliation and misery associated with "cheating" and all the issues from that.

I'm also a big believer in trying to get a marriage right the first time around -- I don't believe you should get married just to be married or because you ought to "settle down." Make sure you fall in love, first, darnit, that's what I am saying! I guess I don't understand the logic of getting into or even staying in some vapid marriage or relationship, while at the same time running around with other women. I still don't understand why Eliot Spitzer was running around with all these prostitutes. It makes no sense to me. Come to think of it, he probably got this idea from A Guide for the Married Man. Same for Dave Letterman and these other fools who were around to see this flick in the theaters or on TV. This movie really does glamorize cheating. The folks at Ashley Madison - the matchmakers for people who want to cheat on their mates - must be thanking their stars for this movie, because it just encourages everyone to cheat. It truly is great for business.

I guess the main thing I don't get is why Walter Matthau would even want to cheat on Inger Stevens, because that woman is a hot babe! (Pictured above; proves my point.) I wouldn't be interested in cheating at all if my wife had legs like that -- not to mention her butt. Would you cheat on Inger Stevens?! And that's my comment on marriage, cheating, and A Guide for the Married Man.

No comments: