Thursday, September 17, 2009

RUSS MEYER MOVIES ON TCM

I must admit I kind of like Russ Meyer movies -- though I'm only really familiar with his tamer ones from the Sixties and early Seventies like Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. He also did some later movies which I haven't seen -- some really wild and crazy stuff that is probably too weird even for me. And quite frankly, I'm not so sure I'm interested in seeing it.

I guess I'm more of a fan of his earlier, tamer stuff. That Beyond the Valley of the Dolls flick had a really cool soundtrack and some great lines ("it's my happening and it freaks me out!"), and the cast featured some really good-looking Sixties Playmates. I especially liked that cool British bird Dolly Read, Miss May 1966.

And this is yet another instance where you probably never would have guessed I would ever mention Russ Meyer or Dolly Read in this blog -- same as that time when I did that blog post on Sylva Koscina. I must be the only person where I live who knows who any of these people are. The folks here probably don't know who Edy Williams is either, dammit. Seriously, all people care about here is country music. They know who Taylor Swift is, you can bet on that.

Anyway, I notice TCM -- Turner Classic Movies -- is going to have its Underground series thing going with Russ Meyer movies in the wee hours of Saturday morning this weekend, starting with Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! and ending with Mudhoney, starring Lorna Maitland. For those not familiar with this material, here's a trailer from Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!. That should give you an idea of what to expect. I imagine guys like Quentin Tarantino ate this right up back in the day. Good stuff.

No comments: