Sunday, August 30, 2009

NASCAR IN MONTREAL TODAY

Today is the biggest day of the season for NASCAR fans in Canada as the Nationwide Series races in Montreal today at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Come to think of it, it's also the biggest race day in Montreal this year, thanks to F1's bonehead decision to take the year off in Canada.

But it's been kind of a wet weekend, which is bound to make life miserable for the fans. I sure hope the rain holds off so we'll get a full race.

Did I mention I actually reported at a NASCAR Canada race this year? That was a blast. I was down at Auto Clearing Motor Speedway in Saskatoon late last month, reporting on the inaugural Velocity Prairie Thunder 250 in a first-person story for the Optimist newspapers -- a NASCAR Canadian Tire Series race. (And a big shout-out to the speedway for letting us in to cover it for the race fans in northwest Saskatchewan.) Some of the photos shot for the paper by Josh Schaefer can be found here.

I'm getting a kick out of watching some of the same drivers (Andrew Ranger, DJ Kennington)that were at the event I was covering who are now racing today at the Nationwide event.The live leaderboard is here.

Also, it's nice to actually watch this race on a weekend in which I am not actually working -- for a change.

No comments: