Monday, August 31, 2009

DISNEY BUYS OUT MARVEL

FOUR BILLION SMACKEROOS

Well, I spent the day in a dental chair, but the good news is that there was still a TV in there, so I was able to watch CNBC while they drilled my teeth. I gotta say, that Erin Burnett woman sure is easy on the eyes. Makes the dental work less of a chore to get through.

Anyway, Erin was repeating the big news from the world of entertainment that Disney had bought Marvel for $4 billion.

I wonder about the acquisition, though. It's clear to me that Disney is buying out Marvel to get their hands on that movie-franchise revenue from their future projects. But the biggest Marvel stars - Spidey, The Incredible Hulk, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Iron Man -- have already rolled out in theaters. What's left -- Thor and Captain America? I wonder how the heck they expect to do any better in the future with the other Marvel characters, and sequels are bound to bore the heck out of the public. As for publishing, that entire business is in the financial sink everywhere. And didn't Marvel have to file for bankruptcy at one point?

I'm just thinking of what's gone on over at Time Warner which owns DC. They've had all kinds of financial issues with the DC line over there and a lot of money losses, so I kind of wonder what Disney is thinking with this Marvel acquisition with all that going on. Marvel also seems a little out of place over there with that family-friendly crowd. The other thing that worries me is that Disney is notorious for being focused on the bottom line (ie. "cheap"). Their accountants could turn around and order a bunch of comic book lines shut down, just to save money.

Oh, well. We'll see what happens.

No comments: