Sunday, December 14, 2008

WORK FOR FREE COVERING THE MOVIES

Read a story in Variety about these aspiring film critics and how they are coping in this crummy economy where writers are doing all they can to make it. A lot of them are working for free!!! Who needs it. It would be fun to pursue film or entertainment writing, but this whole business of working for nothing is pretty bad, to say the least. But it's hard to get into entertainment writing when so many of these publications and TV channels are enduring bloodbaths.

Oh, and my Film School Rejects box office column is up. Too bad this column doesn't pay the bills -- instead, I rely on my mainstream media job. Which, by the way, has been a big help as far as meeting girls is concerned.

"Hi! I report on city council meetings!" Yeah, that really works.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My father was a teacher in Saskatchewan, and back in the 1970s there was a labor dispute and my dad got into an argument with someone who basically said teachers should work for the love of teaching and not care about getting paid. The response from my dad: "When the grocery store accepts good intentions in lieu of money." That's the same thing with journalism. As a freelancer, I am usually paid by the word; so as more publications go online my income is set to plummet because online news stories are 1/2 to 3/4 the length (on average) of print stories. And I don't see newspapers lining up to change to flat rates. I love being a journalist, but the fact is I have to make a minimum amount to continue living (full stop), and all the good intentions in the world aren't going to pay those bills. That's why I've never devoting time to starting a blog, because I simply can't afford to; nor can I afford to get involved in "work for free" schemes. Free movies don't equal free meals or free rent.

Anonymous said...

(PS. I meant to say "1/2 to 1/4", not "1/2 to 3/4" in my post, above.)