Wednesday, September 10, 2008

NOT MUCH TO SAY ABOUT THE FILM FESTIVAL (YET)

Well, one of these days I am going to have time away from covering politics at work to actually surf the web and check out the Toronto International Film Festival coverage. Unfortunately, I never seem to get revved up for the festival until it's too late.

Been watching the entertainment shows in this country covering the event, with eTalk on CTV, Entertainment Tonight Canada on Global, and the efforts by CBC, Citytv and everyone else. This is basically the biggest thing these entertainment reporter folks cover all year in this country, so they are all going hog wild over this.

I get the sense they are only scratching the surface about what goes on there, though. They go gaga over these folks on the red carpet for the big gala premieres, and all the fashions and the celebrity-watching. But there's a lot of these smaller movies that don't get much attention that also play at Toronto, too. So it's not all about the big flicks like Burn After Reading, Rachel Getting Married, The Wrestler or those other efforts all the time, even though it seems that way from all the news coverage. These entertainment reporters on TV also miss out on all the business deals that are going on because they want to go gaga on what Julianne Moore is wearing.

(Oh, by the way, I am crazy for Julianne Moore. But that's another post. See, this is why I follow this fest -- because I go gaga over the big actresses there. Julianne Moore, Anne Hathaway, Kate Hudson, all my favorite hotties.)

Speaking of the sales situation: the big news was that The Wrestler, which took Venice by storm, was sold in Toronto to Fox Searchlight. So those guys are guaranteed to make a lot of money. Also, IFC bought Che.

Anyway -- a reminder to myself that I also have my box office column to write tomorrow night. I could get a head start on it tonight, but I really don't feel like it, I'm too tired. I think what I'm going to do instead is sit back and watch movies on TV.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ctv is doing it for the sponsors. won't somebody think of all the sponsors.

nobody from ctv will give out actual reviews for any of these films.

all these huge films just end up costing less than 10 bucks on dvd at walmart soonor or later
thats what your work is worth .