Tuesday, July 29, 2008

LAST WORD ON THE INDY

Well, every year THE CAIRNS BLOG does an Indy post, and every year I rant about how the Indy is a big beer drinker's convention filled with scantily-clad girls, and so on and so forth.

All I have to say is that I quite enjoyed my time at the Edmonton event, which for the first time was being run under the IndyCar banner after years of being a ChampCar race. From what I gather, the Edmonton event was a big success. Attendance was good -- better than at most of the tracks on the Indy tour, in fact. In fact, it's really easy for an Edmonton event to do better -- because, well, nobody shows up for most of these races in the States.

So the Indy people are really pleased with the reception they got in Canada and are looking forward to adding the dormant Toronto race to the calendar, with the announcement likely coming this week.

I gotta say, Toronto really missed out this year with no race on the schedule. They would have gone gaga over the Indycar drivers. Well, next year they'll be back to having fun in Toronto with an Indy event there, that's for sure.

The folks in Edmonton sure put on a good show. Gene Simmons was there as the Grand Marshall. Mini-me was there (Verne Troyer). Plus you had the famous IRL drivers like Danica Patrick, and Helio Castroneves. And, uh, Paul Tracy was there too. It was like what the Molson Indy used to be like in Vancouver and Toronto.

And by the way, thank you very much Vancouver for running your own Molson Indy out of town and allowing it to replaced by Edmonton in the first place. Thanks to your screw-up, I was able to go to two open-wheel racing events here on the prairies that I otherwise might not have been able to attend. If there were no Edmonton event, I probably would have gone to the local speedway and watched demolition derby or something equally stupid.

All in all I was very glad to be in Edmonton for the Indy. Among other things I felt like I was back in Toronto again -- in a weird sort of way.

No comments: