Friday, April 04, 2008

A RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF NEWS FROM NOWHERE

I'm back posting some posts that I had been meaning to post in the time I've been gone from the blog.

Here's a post from Fortune on CNBC's coverage of the market meltdown. I gotta say, CNBC has been on a roll lately covering these freaking markets. The whole Bear Stearns mess has really rattled the US stock market and has had people talking recession. The Independent newspaper came out with a big headline over in the UK claiming the US was in a Great Depression. Geez, I sure hope not. Real cheery stuff from these Brits.

And here are profiles of two folks at Fox Business, Connell McShane and Dagen McDowell.

I have a question. Why the heck can't I work for a place covering business news? It's not as if I'm unqualified -- but it seems the jobs are all overseas in places like Singapore. Do I really want to live in Singapore? Well, my family sure doesn't want me to, that's for sure. Anyway, I can forget traditional TV news, because there is a big bloodbath going on at CBS stations across the USA. I guess the Americans want to catch up to the Canadians who already have had a big bloodbath at stations in this country.

The cuts are hitting entertainment reporters at local TV stations, who are now joining print entertainment reporters out of work. WBZ Boston reporter Joyce Kulhawik has gotten the boot as part of the CBS bloodbath-- she used to have that syndicated show with Leonard Maltin and sat in opposite Roger Ebert when Gene Siskel died.

Speaking of Roger, he's coming back to reviewing, but the surgeons weren't able to restore his voice and he'll need more surgery for that. But at least he's back on the job. (Nice to know at least ONE film critic out there still has a job.)

And here is an article I stumbled across from Time about the growing influence of fanboys and fanboy websites devoted to movies. I sort of mention this because I write for one of these sites that is heavily into fanboy-type stuff -- superheroes, sci-fi, gadgets and so on. And yes the article is quite old, but I thought it made sense to link to it. It was timely given the Fanboys controversy and given what is happening to so many of these mainstream media film critics who are getting the boot these days.

UPDATE: And here's a column by Anne Thompson in Variety about the changes affecting film critics and the rise of these Internet sites.

All the bloodletting in the news business is making journalists angry. They are MAD AS HELL AND ARE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE (see picture, above left). Check out this story of a website called Angry Journalist dot com. I gotta say, this site is pretty freaking hilarious.

In other broadcasting news, former CNN Headline News anchor Lynne Russell, who was last seen selling houses for a living in Toronto after leaving her CBC Newsworld
gig, now has a show on CFRB 1010 on weekends. She also fills in for The Motts' show, and plans to also keep her real estate gig.

Movie news: here's a post over at Cinematical on mourning vanishing multiplexes. You know, I can sort of relate. I grew up in Saskatoon, a place that has a bad history of tearing down movie theaters. They tore down the original Capitol Theater which was an absolute palace, and they tore down the Paramount, and they razzed the Cinema Twins theaters, and on and on and on. So many movie theaters were closed down where I grew up that it was RIDICULOUS. So I definitely relate to a story like this.

Finally, here's a writeup in the Wall Street Journal about the retro appeal of that classic sitcom Get Smart -- which has a movie due out, this summer.

Would you believe? -- that's all for now.

No comments: