Friday, February 22, 2008

REDNECK MOVIES



I have been stockpiling my DVD collection lately and have been adding some rare titles. I came across The Great Texas Dynamite Chase at this rare-DVD store in Winnipeg and just had to buy it. I saw this flick on TBS Superstation quite a few times and thought the movie was cool. It was one of these redneck deep-South kind of movies filled with Southern babes. This was made in the mid-Seventies, back when redneck cinema and redneck culture were all the rage. It eventually led to movies like Smokey and the Bandit and TV shows like Dukes of Hazzard and The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo. But before all that happened, guys like Roger Corman were churning out movies like The Great Texas Dynamite Chase, which he produced. And these would play at these drive-ins, mainly in the deep South.

It's kind of funny because this redneck stuff was all happening around the same time as disco and Saturday Night Fever. I guess something had to happen to counterbalance all that.

Actually the real reason I bought the DVD was because I knew the star of the movie was the coolest woman ever. "Queen-of-the-Bs" Claudia Jennings absolutely rocked in that movie. That gorgeous woman had me at hello. (Hello, Claudia!)

I know, I gush over girls way too much. Actually, the real reason for this post is so I can declare my enthusiasm for Claudia. Claudia Jennings is awesome.

Anyway, on to the rest of my post.

There have been recent attempts to revive "redneck culture" in the movies and TV. There was the Dukes of Hazzard movie revival, and you had Blue Collar TV which ran on the old WB network, and I notice that Larry the Cable Guy is trying to revive "redneck culture" with his latest movie Witless Protection.

Now, I don't think the revival attempts are going all that well. I understand that Witless Protection wasn't even screened for the film critics this week, and whenever that happens that is bad news. If they really want to revive redneck movies, they really do need to put in some kind of an effort.

Though it would also help if these producers and directors were able to discover another Claudia Jennings. The original is hard to replace.

No comments: