Friday, December 28, 2007

MY THOUGHTS ON "SPECIES"


I've gotten a lot of new DVDs over Christmas and one of those I bought for myself with the gift card was the 1995 hit Species.

I think I have figured out my reaction to that silly, embarrassing movie that has been a guilty pleasure of mine for a long time. Sure, it's a ridiculous, cheesy, soft-core modern-day B movie. But it's definitely a fun movie to watch! It's like those old Roger Corman flicks that way, it's so schlocky that it's good. I liked the action and the look of the film. I especially liked the female lead and found her "I want a baby" schtick amusing. Plus, it's fun to see Marg Helgenberger in a movie, especially now that C.S.I. has typecast her for life now.

Species is just like Snakes on a Plane, it's similar cheese. You watch it, and you know it's no masterpiece, but you have a great time watching this stuff.

I looked up an old Siskel & Ebert review of the flick, just to see how these two rated the movie. And Ebert trashed the movie and gave it a big thumbs down, but Siskel said he liked it!!! He liked the special effects and especially liked the female lead. You know, after debating it back and forth, I've decided that I agree with Siskel and have to give a thumbs-up to the movie as well, and the reason why is obvious--

NATASHA HENSTRIDGE.

She's the reason this movie is any good to watch. Without her, this movie completely falls apart. She carries this flick from start to finish.
The best thing about her in the movie is --- her eyes. Those eyes look like they could belong to a space alien. They are so haunting and other-worldly in the movie, so you actually do believe this spaced-out chick is from another planet somewhere. Another big point in this flick's favor is the fact that this role displays beautiful f*cking-hot Natasha at the absolute height of her sex appeal, playing the friskiest alien ever. (It sure seems like she hardly wears anything!!!)

All I will say is-- without Natasha Henstridge, Species is just another lame Forest Whitaker movie. That's it.

Maybe my taste in movies is not so hot, but I definitely have good taste when it comes to women.

No comments: