Saturday, October 27, 2007

SATURDAY MORNING

I am writing this post on a lazy Saturday morning and all I gotta say is that Saturday morning TV is not what it used to be. It's all this video-game-related junk. Who really cares about any of these cartoon characters. As for ABC, I've never been that big a fan of Disney programming to begin with, it just seems so boring.

What's really bad is that I do not have access to the CW these days, so I miss the entire Kids WB! lineup. So I am missing out on Tom and Jerry and Scooby-Doo. Not that it matters much, usually I spend the weekend sleeping. Also, the CW sold its entire Saturday morning block away to 4KidsEntertainment, so all these shows will wash up on the Cartoon Network anyway.

Noticed a website with these old clips of Saturday TV from the old days. They ran a complete episode of the old Banana Splits TV show which I hadn't seen in a long time. I didn't remember much from the original show, but I did remember these silly Banana Splits running around the amusement park going on all these rides. As a kid I thought it was really cool. I think it's great there are people out there trying to keep Saturday morning alive, or at least the memory of it alive.

Besides, those shows were good. The shows I remember the most, though, were the Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner Show, the Pink Panther Show, the Daffy Duck Show (on NBC), the Jetsons, Jonny Quest, Scooby-Doo, Hong Kong Phooey, and Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids. Those shows ran forever. You could also count on seeing the Harlem Globetrotters in one incarnation or another, or these Marvel or DC characters. But for some reason I preferred these Hanna-Barbera and WB shows.

I especially liked the shows with the Looney Tunes. That was one of the things you could count on seeing: Bugs Bunny on Saturdays. Sort of comfort TV for cartoon fans. Too bad these PTA groups had all the violence edited out.

The Flintstones also had a long Saturday morning presence, too, but their prime-time original series was much better and I remember it more as a show that ran on weekdays as opposed to weekends. They sort of jumped the shark after that show ended in 1966, because their original Saturday morning shows were generally terrible. (The Flintstones Comedy Hour in the early Seventies, on CBS, was OK. But the late Seventies stuff that ran on NBC was pretty awful.)

The other thing that was good about Saturday TV in those days was the filler programming like In the News and Schoolhouse Rock between shows, and all the ads were really memorable with Ronald McDonald, Sugar Bear, Cap'n Crunch and the rest of them. Who can forget that silly Trix Rabbit.

These days, what is there? Meh! Even the commercials are boring.

Let's face it, for most of us cartoon lovers there is really no point to watching Saturday morning cartoons anymore. Instead, the really good animation is all in prime time, on Sunday Nights on FOX with King of the Hill, The Simpsons, Family Guy and American Dad. Now that is entertainment. Not this video game ripoff type junk. As I say, Saturday morning TV is FINISHED.

No comments: