Monday, May 21, 2007

WRITING ABOUT THE MOVIES

BEWARE OF THE NUMBER 3

Thought I would post two links to recent movie reviews of mine posted at Film School Rejects: one of Spider-Man 3 and of 28 Weeks Later.

In my Spidey 3 review I said "beware of the number 3." Seems like almost every time there is a sequel #3 to any movie franchise, they mail it in. The second movie, sometimes they do it right, but the third? It's very hard to hit three in a row out of the park.

I've thought about it some more and I think maybe those George Lucas-directed Star Wars movies were among the very few to buck the trend and be successful with three in a row. Though technically, Return of the Jedi wasn't the third sequel, but the sixth part of the story. But if you count Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, well, that was good, too. So I think Star Wars bucked the trend. But these others? (I guess the third James Bond movie was good, too.)

Speaking of Star Wars, CNBC is doing a whole series this week about the business impact of that movie and how it ushered in the summer blockbuster and all that, on this the 30th anniversary of the movie.

Incidentally, that new Steven Spielberg- On the Lot show is tomorrow night on FOX and after weeks thinking it might be a really big hit, now I'm not so sure. Certainly they are giving it a prime slot paired with American Idol. But I just don't see huge buzz about this show on these TV-fan websites. But I do think it'll get enough ratings to last the season. Aren't people tired of reality shows? Besides, who wants to see a TV show about the movies when you can see an actual movie. Tuesday happens to be a big movie night around here, you can get in cheap.

No comments: