Sunday, January 21, 2007

GO SAINTS

In the NFL playoffs right now I gotta say there's no team out there that I'm pulling for harder than the New Orleans Saints.

Not only because I can identify with cheering for a losing squad (hey, I cheer for Saskatchewan), but also because of the very real suffering New Orleans residents experienced with Katrina. That town is badly in need of a lift, and this team can provide it.

We've seen it time and time again, with sports teams rising up to provide fans in troubled areas some sort of glee. We saw it with the Oakland A's in 1989 with that Bay-area earthquake, and the Yankees' playoff run after 9/11. Now it's happening again.

Personally, I'd love to see the Saints in the Super Bowl, and I want to see them take on the Indianapolis Colts-- for any number of reasons, not the least of which is that I'm fed up with the New England Patroits and Tom Brady, and all their winning.

For one, Colts quarterback Peyton Manning is the son of Archie Manning, and Archie was the legendary quarterback of Saints history. It would be quite fitting if that matchup happened for the Super Bowl title.

For another, it would be the matchup of the team that snuck out of town in the middle of the night, versus the team that, for all the mess and chaos and all that happened to New Orleans, managed to stay put.

I'd love to see it happen. Knowing my luck, though, I fully expect it'll be Bears-Patriots. Happy playoffs!

No comments: