Friday, September 15, 2006

ALMOST OVER

The Toronto International Film Festival is almost over, and I'm glad, because I've about had it with watching movies--- or at least, the ones here.

Going to these @#$% arthouses to watch these @#$% art movies all the time gets on my nerves after a while. Standing in long rush lines waiting to get into a popular movie and not knowing whether you will get in or not is no way to go. I stood at Roy Thomson Hall for three @#$% hours waiting to see Bobby, about these folks who were in the Ambassador Hotel the day he was killed. And I wanted to see it because I've been on political campaigns and would relate to a story where a bunch of horrified campaign workers showed up at a victory party, only to see their candidate murdered. That would be pretty devastating. Anyway, the movie ended up completely sold out from what I was told, so the rush line ended up going home disappointed. What a waste of my time that was.

I did get to see Breaking and Entering with Jude Law, and I was lucky to even get in the theatre that night, the house was full. At least here in Toronto you have a chance to get in to these movies, if you know where to look. In places like Cannes or Sundance it's next to impossible, from what I hear.

I've figured out why I'm not a fan of film festival movies in general. Film festival movies can be no fun. My idea of fun is to go to watch a movie loaded with laughs, or something that has a lot of action in it and a lot of special effects. That's why I go to movies, to escape from all my problems in my own miserable life! But how do you do that if you watch a miserable picture that just depresses you? These "art" movies can be pretty heavy, especially these documentaries. I was watching Spike Lee's joint about New Orleans tonight, When the Levees Broke, and it was the kind of movie that just made you mad at the government and at everyone. They also laid it on thick with the Bush bashing. I wasn't terribly surprised. It was a really left-wing crowd in there, they were hissing Bush at every turn when they saw him on-screen.

Then you have these movies that are so loaded with sex that you want nothing to do with them; they're too gross. There was a movie shown here called Shortbus starring that ex-MuchMusic host Sook-Yin Lee, who now works for the CBC. There were rumors the CBC was going to fire her because this movie's sex scenes were so over-the-top and revolting. I avoided this movie like the plague because of the stories I heard about all the graphic homosexuality that was supposed to be in that movie. No way do I want to see any of that stuff.Yecch.

You get the impression these are movies that academics and the art-and-croissant crowd want to see, but if you are a ordinary person, well, it really is hard to cough up $20 for a ticket to see this stuff. I mean really, you tune in to Ben Mulroney and Cheryl Hickey on TV and you think that this film festival is all about celebrities and big parties. But the hard truth is that most of the movies shown here appeal strictly to the CBC crowd--- and you know what I mean by that. These films appeal to a narrow, niche audience. You have to be a wealthy upper-crust society person to be a real fan of the movies at this film festival. Either that, or you need to be fluent in Hindi or Cantonese or Mandarin or these other foreign languages, so that you don't have to read these annoying subtitles all the time.

They need to find some more movies for the rest of us peasants to watch! I'm not saying lower the standards to show White Chicks or any of that junk- just be more populist, because a lot of these movies looked boring as heck and probably were. The few popular "gala" movies can be a hassle to get into and those tickets cost a lot of money, upwards of $37.50! It is a lot easier to get into these other movies that nobody cares much about, but it still costs $20 bucks. And even if you had plenty of film vouchers like I did, you didn't want to waste your hard-earned vouchers on most of these films- especially if you had no clue what to expect. Most of these movies were films nobody had ever heard of. Something for everyone, my foot.

Anyway, it's been interesting using up my free movie passes on films I wouldn't normally see otherwise. Maybe I should take in a Bollywood movie next--- or something.

No comments: