Tuesday, June 13, 2006

GO SEE "CARS"

Why is it that the only decent entertainment at the movie houses these days are cartoons?! I don't get it. Anyway, I really enjoyed Cars.

It's about this NASCAR rookie sensation who found himself lost in the town of Radiator Springs on Route 66, who discovers the true meaning of life and friendship and all that. It was a really sentimental movie, especially considering the whole cast consists of automobiles. Owen Wilson, Bonnie Hunt and Paul Newman are among the people voicing the characters; Newman an especially good choice because he's so identified with auto racing.

I don't know why this movie was such a big hit with me. Maybe it's because I'm a big race fan to begin with. Maybe it's because I've been out there on the open road myself with my automobile, in boondock-type places much like Radiator Springs, towns that the Interstate forgot. Maybe it's because I've also been in the repair shop, too often, with my automobile, getting repairs done for the thing to keep the car running. Whatever.

Anyway, see it, it's a lot better than The Break-Up. All I will say about The Break-Up is that it's, it's... how do you spell excruciating? Where's my spell-check?!

Oh, and this is another reminder to myself that this week is the Le Mans auto race. Otherwise I'd forget, because nobody cares about it here. It's all about the Nextel Cup, or in Canada, the Stanley Cup. Who cares about real auto racing.

No comments: