Sunday, March 26, 2006

I CAN'T EXTRICATE MYSELF FROM POLITICS

Well here's yet another rare political post from me here at the CAIRNS BLOG.

I have recently been roped into doing more political stuff but I have mixed feelings about it. It's so hard to turn these people down, though. They're friends of mine, these folks, and I don't mind giving these folks my time. It's just that I'm kind of sick of politics. I am fed up for all kinds of reasons that go beyond winning or losing.

If winning or losing was the sole consideration I'd stay in for sure because heck, my side's winning these days. The Liberals are in chaos and look like total fools. Their current leadership race is a joke, all the potential candidates are utter mediocrities. I ought to be happy as can be. But I simply feel my involvement in politics is increasingly futile.

I guess this David Emerson business has been the catalyst to turn me right off. How do I go around defending that stuff to my neighbors?! I can't! That's why I'm fed up. And these political people are in dire need of lives, many of them.

Speaking of the byelections, a few local political people have rounded me up off the street to help out in Whitby-Ajax to help elect Christine Elliott to the provincial legislature. She is the wife of federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty. Basically it's the whole former Eugene McDermott team going out to canvass for Christine Elliott. We went out there for the day and I'm planning to go out there later this week. Elliott is in a tough battle with Liberal Judi Longfield, who was recently tossed out of the parliament of Canada in the last federal election. But Christine Elliott seems to me to be the kind of individual who's in politics for the right reasons. As far as I'm concerned, that's good enough reason to help her out. And she needs all the help she can get.

In other news, Ontario came out with its provincial budget which promised wild spending to the GTA, and John Tory was busy blasting all this wild spending, and so on and so forth. But no one can do much about this wild spending except rant and complain about it to the media. That's what happens when you get a majority government, they get to spend money as if there is no tomorrow.

No comments: