Wednesday, December 14, 2005

KONG

Well, today's the day. That's right: KING KONG opens for general release.

And it opens with a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 84%, and Ebert and Roeper gave it two thumbs up, and Ebert calls it one of the best films of the year. But those two guys tend to be big populists and generally are quite fair to these sorts of movies.

Predictably you have some of these insufferable highbrow critics, the people looking for high art, thumbing their nose at this movie. Ultra-uptight Liam Lacey in the Globe gave it two-and-a-half stars! Well, I guess that settles it, I should just stay home and watch crummy sitcoms or cartoons. Really, I'm convinced some of these guys just don't like populist entertainment of any kind and probably hate going to the movies, period. Canadian film critics in general tend to be absolutely the most miserable people on earth. They trash everyone, even if the film happens to be pretty good and the director made an effort. So they don't have much credibility with me. Maybe it's the cold weather that freezes their brains, or something. (I noticed the Toronto Star gave King Kong four stars, though.)

Rex Reed also hated the movie. I didn't know he was still a film critic.

Anyway I plan to go and watch King Kong, but not for a few days. I don't want to have to fight the crowds to see it or stand in line in the cold outside of the theatre.

No comments: