Saturday, November 26, 2005

I'M BACK

Sorry, but I have not been posting the last couple of days. I've been busy. Politics.

I must say, I don't know if I'll be able to commit myself to the campaign like I did in 2004. Life is getting in the way and I have some other priorities.

Anyway, I was at Peter Kent's volunteer shindig in St. Paul's last night. Kent was handing out movie tickets to some of his dedicated volunteers so I don't want to hear any complaints about the movie industry not being supported by the Tories, the Tories like the movies, too. So quit grouching.

I've got to say that I am already impressed with the Peter Kent campaign; they have been spending the last several months campaigning and meeting people. In fact they're doing a lot more than a lot of other campaigns in Toronto, from what I can tell. If they end up going down to defeat it won't be by lack of trying. My own connection to St. Paul's riding is entirely from the John Tory campaigns. When Tory ran for mayor he had his main campaign office in the riding on the corner of Yonge and St. Clair.

I am also told the John Capobianco team has a new campaign office ready to go in Etobicoke-Lakeshore and that it will be bigger and better than the last one, with more free parking.

Well, it's pretty clear the government is going to fall on Monday unless the Liberals are able to bribe about 20 or so people to cross the floor and join the Liberal Party, and I don't think that's going to happen. The Tory motion of non-confidence has been seconded by the NDP and has pretty strong wording condemning the government and all its corruption and politicking. I also think the Liberals aren't going to prorogue Parliament or do any of that, they're going to take their chances and try and blame the opposition for the timing of the election. I read that David Kilgour plans to vote to defeat the government on Monday, too. It's over, folks.

The only question in my mind is whether Paul Martin will allow Parliament the satisfaction of bringing down the House- he could walk over to the G-G and resign and call an election before it happens. That would be one last parting shot by him, to deny the opposition the opportunity of gloating for a day. It would also backfire because it would mean Martin would be held entirely responsible for settting the date for the election. No, I think we're going to see the big vote, and see people stand up and clap Ed Broadbent who is leaving and some of the other MPs who are leaving- I think the Tories are going to stand and applaud John Reynolds, who is not running again.

This week the federal Liberals having been going around the country spending massive amounts of money and offering goodies to every interest group imaginable, and that has bombed with the public. Even the TV reporters are talking about Ralph Goodale handing out the Liberal "goodies" to people and it's obvious to me these reporters are cynical about all of this and not falling for the line of bull that this was all pre-planned. People are finally seeing through the Liberals and are finally cynical of their motives.

I think the public is finally seeing that Martin and the gang are out for power, they're out for themselves. They seem quite blatant in rounding up the usual cattle to go to the polls and vote for them. That's where they're sending all this money, to help immigrants to Canada and to assist these students and other such folks, the usual people. Then these same people are rounded up off the street like cattle to vote for the Liberals. You would think if there's one thing that voters in this country are fed up with by now, it's being treated like cattle. This spending spree is going to the usual interest groups who all vote Liberal. As they say in the USA, this is all "pork".

There's a big feeling that it's a time for a change, yet there's also discomfort with Stephen Harper. Still, I think it will be easier for Harper this time. I think people are wise to the Liberal playbook by now, it will be up to Harper's team to take advantage of this shift in their favor. What worries me is that the Liberals may try the smear campaign again. Already they want to sue Harper for referring to them as "organized crime", this after Harper threatened to sue after Scott Brison said Harper broke the lobbying rules and didn't register as a lobbyist. Of course, there was a reason why Harper didn't register as a lobbyist: he wasn't a lobbyist to begin with! Brison had to apologize for that and also he got in hot water for telling some campaign volunteer to "kiss my @$$." If voters in Kings-Hants send Brison back to Ottawa again they should be ashamed of themselves, this guy is a big embarrassment.

Anyway, back to watching football for me, this is the Week of Football, in both the USA and in Canada. Go Huskies (they play next week).

No comments: