Friday, September 16, 2005

ADULT CARTOON FAN

I have big cartoon news to announce later in this post, as this is a big cartoon night.

I've always been a fan of cartoons, but I gravitated more to quality animation that adults might watch as well. When I was a kid I tuned into The Flintstones and plenty of Warner Brothers cartoons; I also liked Bullwinkle and Rocky and The Pink Panther. These were cartoons that a lot of adults liked as well. The Bugs Bunny and Pink Panther cartoons originally played in movie theatres to mass audiences, and the Flintstones started as a primetime show aimed primarily at adults. They were even sponsored by Winston's Cigarettes and had ads with Fred and Barney lighting up! I kid you not, I saw these ads for myself on the Internet and nearly died laughing.

I was a huge Flintstones fan growing up. CFQC-TV used to run The Flintstones reruns at noon hour, followed at 12:30 by Jim Mattern and the noon-hour news. And they ran the Flintstones at noon for something like twenty-five years. I believe CKCK in Regina did the same thing. In fact I heard there were big protests in Regina when they cancelled The Flintstones after running them at noon for so long. It was a Saskatchewan tradition. CFQC and CKCK also carried Spider-Man on weekends forever, though nobody really cared about that show like they cared about the Flintstones.

I still watch some cartoons but usually these days it's King of the Hill, The Simpsons and Family Guy on Sunday nights for me. Basically, that's where the good animation is on TV, on FOX. It certainly isn't on Saturday mornings. I can't bear to watch these witless made-in-Japan efforts. In fact most of the Saturday morning cartoons were witless when I was a kid, too. I've never been a fan of Disney cartoons, either: not enough violence. I preferred the old WB theatrical cartoons that they used to run on Saturdays; it had real effort put into it and the directors were absolute legends in the world of animation. But these PTA groups who ran TV back then ruined it all by ordering all kinds of cuts to the Road Runner and the other good cartoons.

It's 2005 now, and even though we've all grown up we still want to watch cartoons, but we don't want to tune into the juvenile crap that litters Saturday mornings. Well, fans who can't get enough of good cartoons can rejoice. The Cartoon Network shows a block of adult-oriented cartoons entitled Adult Swim, and now they plan to stream them live every Friday night, from 11PM to 5AM EST. Check it out. And the best part about this is that the CRTC can't stop this stuff from coming into Canada. That's the big cartoon news for tonight.

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law, which features the classic Hanna-Barbera characters of old.

UPDATE: BLEEPING HECK!?! I log in and they tell me you can only access these cartoons if you live in the USA. Well, then, I'm SCREWED. I'm back on my "I want to move to the United States" rant again.

THAT's CANADA for YOU EH?!! You can't even watch online CARTOONS without it getting RUINED. Whether it's Cartoon Network, ESPN, HBO or MTV, we don't get access to anything good. But we do get... Cheryl Hickey!

(And you thought I was going to insult Ben Mulroney again. Give the guy a break eh? His family has had a hard week.)

No comments: