Monday, May 16, 2005

ROAD TRIPS AND OTHER STUFF

I haven't posted about TV news for a little and I know this site gets a lot of hits from people interested in that sort of thing. I thought I'd mention some TV news news in this post, news about people moving around. I'll probably have no time later in the week when/if the government falls, so better get it over with.

The big news, of course, in cable news is that Rita Cosby is moving to MSNBC from Fox News. She just never could become an A-lister at that loudmouthed Fox News Channel no matter how hard she tried; she got a few big scoops but was never able to make a name for herself the way Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity did. MSNBC seems to be on the rise, or at least, they've stopped sinking. They are slowly building some stability and gaining some talent.

The other big news is that Dennis Miller was canned. Again. This time it was CNBC that gave his show the boot. This after being booted from ABC (Monday Night Football), HBO, and from Tribune Broadcasting (his syndicated TV show). All this after leaving NBC the first time. Maybe it's time for Miller to go to CBS and be fired by them, too.

As for the list of names of TV news people that I have on the side of the screen here, I have some news on two of them. One is that Jennifer Eccleston, Miss Shock and Awe of Iraq War fame, has moved again. She had moved from Fox News to NBC, but lately she's been at CNN and was seen covering all the news re: the new Pope. She still lives in Rome, I believe.

The other news is that Canadian Hanson Hosein and his wife Heather Hughes are going on a road trip. These are independent producers based in Kelowna B.C. who used to be in network TV news over in the Middle East. Well, they are going on a 52-day road trip and they're chronicling the whole thing, with something called Independent America. They are going to all these off-the-beaten-track places and travelling off the Interstates, and plan to visit all these non-Corporate America establishments and other types of places, so no McDonald's or Wal-Mart for them. They plan to update their site with blogging and videos and stuff. I'm a big fan of off-the-beaten-path America and the open road so I think I'll check it out. I've been known to travel through darkest America from time to time, except in my case I tend to wind up stopping at the Wal-Mart and McDonald's.

I don't know how they are going to make any money off of this, but it sounds like a great project, the type of thing the network news folks used to do all the time, but don't anymore. I remember Charles Kuralt used to go out on the road all the time to all these places out there outside the big city, and Harry Smith did the same sort of thing. But it's all mayhem and argument shows on the TV news channels these days, partisan types yelling at each other and all that, so I guess that you have to go to the Internet to see "on-the-road" type reporting again.

Just as you have to go on the Internet to see real political reporting again. But I digress.

No comments: