Monday, March 07, 2005

TORIES SET FOR THEIR BIG CONVENTION

Well I read this story from the Hill Times and it sounds as if the Conservatives will have quite the bash in Montreal.

I am kicking myself now for my comments complaining about what a lousy convention it's going to be, how they're all going to debate silly resolutions on same-sex marriage and abortion etcetra etcetra. Apparently Montreal will be Party Central, with lots of political high rollers and lobbyists there, so I'm recanting already.

Apparently Stephen Harper's people have some event planned, while deputy leader/co-founder Peter MacKay and his wealthy new female friend from Aurora both have big bashes planned for the delegates as well. So yeah, all these delegates will be having a blast, meanwhile I'll be sitting at home in Toronto, disgustedly watching basketball games on TV, and missing out on all the fun.

But really, I think I'll let others enjoy a good time in politics this year, for a change; I've had quite enough of hospitality suites and political events. I went to two leadership conventions last year and had a great time at both of them, went to several political debates and to quite a few leadership and election-related events for several different candidates, but I think that's more than enough for me. I've cut back on my political activities. I'm not working for any more politicians unless I believe in them and feel I'll have a good time on the campaign. Otherwise, there's no point.

And they've got to be able to throw great political events loaded with good food. The one thing I've noticed is that the candidates with the best food tend to be ones who end up winning. Don't know why that is, but the ones who can only afford cheap pizza and hot dogs tend to go down the tubes fast. So keep that in mind, people. If you go to some huge campaign event and all they serve there is KFC and pizza, your candidate has had it. And that's not a knock against KFC, either. It's simply political reality. The food has to be absolutely top-notch, the type of food rich people eat, or else your campaign is sunk, period.

Anyway, those of you planning to be there in Montreal can expect more coverage of that convention from THE CAIRNS BLOG than I devoted to the Liberal one. I'll sit here and post every story I can find about the convention. It's just that I didn't feel like doing the same about that boring Liberal convention. The Liberal convention was more than my stomach could take. What a bunch of idiots.

In other news, it's official: the Harper Tories are propping the Liberals up. The do-nothing Liberal budget is going to be passed. Yecch. I can't believe I'm siding with Jack Layton over this one.

No comments: