Sunday, March 20, 2005

SURFING AROUND

A few days ago I was surfing around on Google looking for, well, information about entertainment and stuff like that, useless junk. Then it occured to me to surf around to see if any old friends of mine had built their own web sites or blog sites.

Anyway for no particular reason I decided to look up Mike Pereira. I remembered him from way back in the days when we were both at the University of Western Ontario, doing time at the campus radio station CHRW-FM doing radio announcing. I remembered he was very keen on Canadian politics, interested in education issues, and obsessed with Quebec. He had gone up to Montreal during the referendum and filed reports on that for CHRW. I figured that maybe he might have a political blog or something going since it's the cool thing to do these days, so I decided to try and look him up.

Well, guess what. He has a nifty current affairs website. Seems that after I left CHRW Mike hung around and hosted a political talk show, then he went and did a master's degree in political management at George Washington University and moved to Washington D.C.! So he ended up in the United States. You know what, a ton of people I used to know at CHRW ended up in the United States. The news director actually became a sports information director at some university in Virginia, and the music director eventually became a big movie reviewer based in San Francisco, I kid you not. Now that's a gig a lot of normal people don't get, but he wasn't a normal person to begin with, he was too cool for our country.

I don't know what it is about the USA that pulls people in there from the University of Western Ontario, but there you go. I don't know how they are able to get in down there. There must be a way to be able to move down there and work, and be able to comply with their regulations and not get deported. Maybe I should talk to an immigration lawyer about this, again. ( Actually there was a pretty good friend of mine at Western who moved to New York after she graduated, but she was an American to begin with so she doesn't really count.)

Incidentally, the CHRW news department was founded years ago by none other than Global TV's very own Kevin Newman, who actually ran it when the entire station was really small and a bit of a joke. CHRW was much more organized when I was there, a lot more professional. (I think Thalia Assuras and Elliotte Friedman also did time at CHRW, among other people. Lots of people got their start there. Just an interesting observation.)

No comments: