Sunday, February 13, 2005

THE BURNING OF ATLANTA

A new low for me: last night I watched the NASCAR race and then when that was over I watched two classic Marilyn Monroe movies, the Seven-Year Itch and some other one that I can't remember- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes? Jane Russell was in it. I was bored out of my skull.
There was nothing else on TV to watch. I didn't even bother with Saturday Night Live.

Now, today, I'm watching an NBA game on TV and the Pro Bowl is later today. So yeah, it's a big exciting sports day on TV today, not. I think NBC has an Arena Football League game.

I just realized this: last night I would have probably ended up watching Marilyn Monroe on TV anyway, because this was All-Star Weekend in the NHL. Last night, Hockey Night in Canada would have showed some pathetic, meaningless skills competition from Atlanta that would have put hockey fans to sleep. So I wouldn't have tuned in anyway.

And what's with Sportsnet anyway? Man, do these media outlets in Canada ever look like shills for the owners: calling for Goodenow's head, talking about player dissent, etcetera. Today they're running yet another pro-owner story putting pressure on the players, trying to undermine Goodenow, saying they now expect Trevor Linden to be back in the talks soon and the season won't be cancelled. They claim this nonsense may drag out yet another week.

You know, they might as well extend our agony. There's meant to be a big snowstorm here tomorrow and everyone's gonna be snowed in. So might as well keep up the fans' hopes, eh? I DON'T CARE ANYMORE! JUST CANCEL IT, BETTMAN!

No comments: