Thursday, January 06, 2005

BIG NHL GOVERNOR'S MEETING SCRAPPED

Well, the NHL board of governor's meeting-- that big one on the 14th that was supposedly supposed to set a drop dead date and the rest of it-- has been cancelled.

Reason it was scrapped: well, there's no news and nothing happening. Consensus out there is that the NHL owners seem to want the players to come back with a new proposal. But there ain't any new proposals and nothing happening, so no reason for these owners to meet. Meanwhile, Business Week came out with another article trashing the NHL management and trashing Gary Bettman, and who can blame them? The article ranks Bettman fifth on its list of the seven worst managers. They claim, rightly, that this current bunch that heads the NHL has run this league into the ground, especially after they made that disasterous recent TV deal with NBC. So Business Week just gave the players another hand grenade to throw at Bettman.

You know, I'm almost ready to GIVE UP on the NHL, this season looks like it's OVER. What a bunch of clowns! What bozos! That Business Week article is the kiss of death in my judgement. This gives the union all kinds of ammo and further reason to hang tough. A lot of people have been holding out hope that the players would capitulate and rise up and fire Bob Goodenow, but I don't think it's happening. In fact, I think all those rumors of capitulation are all getting their start in the corridors of the NHL offices in Manhattan. It's also wishful thinking as far as I'm concerned. I don't see any of the players rising up to get rid of Goodenow. I think it's all hot air. This ain't going to happen folks, and that is why I think the NHL cancelled the meeting, because they know the players are hanging tough behind Goodenow, and the owners themselves are hanging tough, and nothing is happening.

The other thing is that these people in the media keep on saying and thinking "the fans will come back!" But I don't know if I want to come back. In fact I'm pretty down on professional sports, not just because of the NHL. The whole Vince Carter crybaby trade demand fiasco really turned off a lot of fans, and it seems like all the baseball players are on steroids. It's pretty hard to get into following ANY of these guys! About the only sport worth following these days is football, but Canada doesn't have any NFL teams. So to be honest with you I'm watching more movies and TV and following the entertainment scene. I'm even starting to join the rest of North America in watching CSI on TV! And I'm now totally riveted to watching late-night comedians on TV. I wonder if that's the case now with a lot of fans. Let's face it, we've seen all these classic games a million times before on the highlight reel. At some point you can't be held captive by an entire sport, you have to move on with your life. But these NHL guys seem to think all of the NHL's fans are a captive audience. Well, I can tell you I'm not. I'm planning to swear off NHL hockey if they scrap the season.

What's clear now is that we're going to have to put up with this "no hockey" situation through the entire month of January. And these bozos don't even have the guts to set a "drop-dead" date! Gary Bettman doesn't have the GUTS to set a date to get a deal done to save the season! Gang, get on with setting a drop-dead date, then maybe that will spur people to start talking, and even if it doesn't, at least we'll all be put out of our misery!

No comments: