Monday, December 27, 2004

FAREWELL TO POLITICS

Well, I have made a decision with respect to the new year. I have thought it over and I have decided to completely get out of politics. Therefore, this is the final post you will see at the CAIRNS BLOG on politics from me. (At least, until the next one.)

There are personal and professional reasons for this. The professional reason is that I have decided to try and move back into broadcast and print journalism in a major way next year, which may mean starting up a production company of my own. Or it may not. I may end up junking this whole idea of getting back into broadcasting. I sort of have a love-hate relationship with that whole business. Overall, the working environment is much better in politics and I had hoped there might be some possibilities to get into political media relations-type work. But that hasn't been a real possibility for a while because the Conservatives are completely out of power. It's pretty obvious from where I sit that my immediate hope of getting anywhere media-wise is to make a trip back down to the CBC and freelance my way in, which means I'll need to ditch all forms of active political involvement even though I'm not planning to cover politics anyway. So politics is going.

As for personal reasons: while I've forged a lot of friendships in politics and enjoyed many good experiences, the bad experiences have finally, at last, outweighed the good as far as I'm concerned. I think the last federal race was what took the cake for me, the final straw that broke the camel's back. I simply didn't have fun on that campaign. While I could go into a long list of reasons why I felt this way, I'll simply leave it at that. (Conversely, the provincial leadership race was a good experience, but not enough to make up for the bad experience that was federal politics.)

And I could care less about social issues, or same-sex marriage, or even health care. Really, do I care? Compare my blog to these other political bloggers and it's obvious, I just don't care about these issues. Politically, all I care about at the end of the day is business and the economy, and whether I'll be able to watch my favorite shows on TV without the CRTC getting their hands involved! That's it. There's not much else in politics that I care about.

So there. I think I'm just going to get out of politics. I won't rule out a return, though, if there's a chance I'll have a good time with it. Otherwise, I'm done.

There! End of statement.

----------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: With respect to that statement above as to whether I'm going back to broadcasting or not, the reason I am actually up in the air about it is that I've been considering pursuing something related to finance, and not simply financial journalism. Now that the crash is long over, I'm thinking of trying again to do something connected to sales and trading in an investment bank. But I'm beating my head against the wall trying to figure out how to write a resume that will appeal to these people. I am reading a book right now on these guys who made gazillions in Asia. I got the book as a Christmas present. Sounds like fun: get richer than Donald Trump. I may do the Michael Lewis thing: work in sales and trading during the day and pursue journalism and my other interests (write crappy screenplays, do crappy standup comedy etc.) at night and on weekends. Or I could do what Jim Cramer did, trade all day and appear on CNBC as a guest star. That would work.

No comments: