Saturday, October 02, 2004

MY TAKE ON THE FIRST BUSH-KERRY DEBATE

I feel I probably should show my face and give my opinion here on the first debate, which I watched along with everyone else.

First of all, I should say that George W. Bush is definitely the absolute worst debater ever. But having said that, by his own standards he did pretty good. He looked like his familiar presidential self. It wasn't a complete debacle. You never tune into a George W. Bush debate expecting to see Bush land a knockout punch.

Second, I take with a grain of salt all these people who claim John Kerry won the first debate. Keep in mind that every Democrat has won just about every presidential debate since the beginning of time, according to every pundit out there, and look what would usually happen in November. So I don't really care about what the pundits say. I say this about Kerry- every time I see him I have no idea what to make of him. That impression hasn't changed. I'm still befuddled.

Finally, I have to admit that debate really was the most boring debate ever. No give and take, no nothing. What a waste of an evening.

We saw both guys outline their positions and that was helpful, but then again, did it sway a single vote? Doubtful. If you're for the war you're for Bush and if you're against the war you're for Kerry. No middle ground, and nothing new from either of them. Ultimately, I think policy will be the determining factor in who wins in November- not debating points or spin. And frankly, I think that will be a good thing. I sure wouldn't cast a vote solely on who was the best debater- I'd cast a vote for the candidate I agreed with.

I'll have my take on the debates next week including that town hall meeting format that ought to be a complete debacle for Bush and a big win for Kerry. Call me a pessimist if you will, but yes, I'm a pessimist.

COLBY COSH - YOU'RE FIRED!

In other news, big shock from the National Post. They have ASHCANNED Colby Cosh as a columnist! Scroll down his site and find out for yourself... I am not making this up.

Apparently it's not just the sports business in this country that is going to H--- so is the news business. Canada's newspapers apparently want to be a talent-free zone. What other conclusion can you come to?

No comments: